9.10.08

.. days of old ~ 10.09.2008


            I must admit, pictures bring back days of old.  I was recently looking at some old pictures yellowed with age and a couple that pasted faces at the back of another.  (Its not just people who don't like getting too close for comfort, eh?)  Some old ones were lucky enough to be scanned and saved in the PC yet they give the same feeling of nostalgia.
             Funny how innocent we look when we were young.  The eyes sparkle, no care in the world, and its smiles all around.  (You should see Chan-chan's teeth and Lyn-lyn's skirt!! Hahahahah..)  The places in the picture even look different.  The lives we had then were simple, true, uncomplicated.  Recalling the feelings and emotions we had  brings back unadulterated happiness.
            A lot of people may want to go back to those days and do life all over again.  Maybe, just maybe, they can do it differently knowing what they know now.  They all think they can do life better given the chance.  What they don't realize is all the choices, hardships, mistakes, and encounters they've had made them the persons they are now.  It's actually not that bad.
            When I look at my old pictures I embrace the memories I hold dear.  I have met a lot of people different from each other, laughed with family and friends 'til I cried, cried for something I had done and for what someone had done to me, sneaked out of the house while my parents were sleeping so my sisters and I could enjoy nights out.  Then meet up with my brothers who sneaked out earlier.  My dad used to grumble that there were no motorcycles left at home every night.  *grin*
            I treasure that day I gave birth and hugged Dart.  There was pride when I first saw the life I  helped sustain and protect for months and I feel it in every corner of my soul.  The moments when I saw him first smile, walk, crawl, laugh, dance, utter his first word, and then some, gave feelings that others may never have or may never realize.  Simple things that stir great emotions should be experienced at least once in our lifetime.  Never to be taken for granted or under-valued.  And not to be ridiculed by those who will never understand.
            I cradle the times I help build our home, aced my physics exam, wrote my first article, kicked my first goal, saw my first summit, won speech and oratorical contests, chaired the dance, props and communications committees AND organized my school's beauty pageant.  (Just organize, mind you.  I can't picture myself taking a walk down any ramp except those meant for gurneys, chairs with wheels and what not.  Hahah.)
            Anyway, old pictures remind me of the life I once had and everything in it.  That doesn't make my life now any less.  Being older and more mature does have its rewards that my younger days could never provide.  There's always the chance of making life better and patching the areas that got torn.  And there's always knowing everything there is to know to become wiser and happier.  It gives me the chance of find that one thing I was looking for.  Myself.
            *sigh*  I always make it a point to remember the old days.  On days that I feel down I look at old pictures to remind me of how far I have gone.  Oh, happy days.  And I will have more of those.  I have a good life, better than most.  I made this my own all by myself and I treasure everything in it, both the past and the present.  I don't want to change anything or prefer someone else's no matter how rich or how successful they are.  One thing's for sure, they don't have what I've got. 

No comments: