9.6.08

..for the love of ~ 06.09.08

Dart has been nagging me about swimming a month ago. He trained in Dgte and wanted to do the same here. I thought its a good idea too so we started the daily regimen of an afternoon swim. It was fortunately the same week when I was on leave (which I was supposed to retract but thought otherwise) and we went to the pool for days on end.

I'm glad my son has interest in sports. He likes swimming best. People always say he will do great in basketball with his height and all but I wanted him to do what he wants to do for himself. If he doesn't want to play basketball it's fine with me. He can choose any sport he likes as long as its not boxing or any extreme contact sport. Hehehehe. For the time being, swimming it is.

I wanted to go in the mornings but waking up early is just so hard these days :D So there we were at 5pm or 6pm (whenever we get our butts out of the house) and bathe in the glory of a deeply chlorinated pool. It felt so great. It has been a long time since I have exerted an effort to swim and I realized I missed that feeling of pushing myself 'til I gasp for breath.

I remember that time when my older sister and I used to borrow a 'bangka' and row ourselves towards the deep. Correction, I row us to the deep. *grin* I learned to handle a shanty boat from backing, turning left or right, stopping and such from that adventure. Once the water is a prestine aqua marine that's when we stop and jump over the boat. From the strong current we often find ourselves along the waters of the next town!!

My parents never knew of this or they'd forbid us to go anywhere on weekends *grin* so it has became our very own place, anywhere in the deep. When the sun starts to set I would steer the boat towards land. My sister just hold the other oar, you know, small limbs and all. :P~ But I have become an expert boatsman during that time. It was one of the experiences I had with my sister that I'll never forget.

So I went swimming with Dart. First time he dove I was so proud of him. He is a very good swimmer and has the perfect form. His strokes are in great shape and with those long limbs of his he will be a great swimmer. He looks good in his trunks too that I made a mental note to keep an eye on him. Tsk. I would need to keep a tight rein on this one. Hahahahaaha. I just hope he would keep this drive for swimming and take it seriously. I would hate to see him turn to some other sport and forget about this. I think when I told him he can do whatever sport he wants I was crossing my fingers and wished he'd go for this sport. Hehehehe.

I'm glad I went with him. I get to exercise my lungs and move myself more. And water is such a divine element that it wraps you in calmness. The pool is always kept warm and although sometimes it rains, the feeling is always exhilirating. Water always gets to me. Looking around the people and students splashing in the pool, some practicing, others just there for a dip, I felt that same feeling of vigor. I felt I was training for a competition in school and the gathering of people aiming for their own goals kept us all connected through the wide expanse of the warm water.

By the time my leave was over we didn't get to go as often anymore. But just the other day we went to the tracks and jogged. This time I woke him up after I got home from work. I figured that if I go to sleep we will never get to do this. Nothing beats jogging in the welcome of the sunrise. Oh, how I missed this too. The pool and the tracks have always been my home.

I pushed myself just to see if I can still do it and I did. But I don't want to snap any tendons and strain any muscles or experience for the first time kissing the ground from exhaustion so I circled five times and walked the rest of the way. That was good enough for me. Dart did his non-stop rounds and I stretched along the tracks while I waited for him. It was a great start and, for sure, we will be back to prance another day.

It feels good knowing we share the same interest. Seeing that my son also likes the same sports I do makes me feel closer and well-connected to him. I am so proud of us and all the times we spend together. This is how I want our relationship to be, sharing the same interest and spending time doing what we both love. I want him to know that I support him every step of the way. I know that he is still finding his own niche in the world and I want him to know that I'll be right beside him.

We plan to go jogging again tomorrow. We'll see about that. School will be starting on Tuesday and I hope they have great teams for the sports he likes. I wonder if I'll give him more nudges than I intended towards soccer too (one of my three most loved sport). *GRIN* Since its also an endurance sport he would fit perfectly in..

Hmmmm, I'll figure that one out later....

No comments: